1. There is no position. We’re just “feeling out” the marketplace.
2. There is no position. This was a headhunter building his database.
3. We were planning to promote from within, but HR made us post the position anyway. We didn’t read or respond to any of the resumes.
4. We already had the perfect candidate, but HR made us post the position anyway. We didn’t read or respond to any of the resumes.
5. We posted the position as required by HR, but when an executive saw it on the intranet, he made us hire his son/nephew/family friend. We didn’t read or respond to any of the resumes.
6. We were planning to hire someone, but by the time the resumes started arriving, the perfect candidate presented himself. We didn’t read or respond to any of the resumes.
7. We were planning to hire someone, but the budget was cut. We didn’t read or respond to any of the resumes.
8. We got 1,200 resumes in 2 days so HR ran them through a filter with almost no correlation to potential suitability for the job. Your resume didn’t get through the filter. Next time, add buzzwords from the ad.
9. Your resume made it through the HR filter, but we only had time to read 20% of them. Yours wasn’t pretty enough.
10. Your resume didn’t stick out in a field of many that did stick out. You probably should have some kick-ass differentiator FRONT AND CENTER.
11. We read many great resumes. Yours was substandard compared to many of them for one or more of many possible reasons. Have 5 friends proofread it and give you brutally honest feedback for next time.
12. Your resume sucked but you don’t. Find 5 friends. See #10.
13. You interviewed well, but someone else absolutely kicked ass. We loved him/her. Tough break for you, I guess.
14. You didn’t interview well, but we can’t really put our finger on it and don’t have time to respond. Tough break.
15. You interviewed well and are still under consideration. But we are waiting on corporate for 27 other things. You’ll probably find another job before we get back to you.
16. You really do suck. (No you don’t. Chances are the process never got this far.)